HISTORY OF LÜNEBURG
Chronicle of the Hanseatic City Lüneburg
Welcome to the more than 1000-year old, beautiful salt and Hanseatic city of Lüneburg. This thriving town with about 78,000 inhabitants is idyllically located between the Lüneburg Heath and the Elbtalaue. Lüneburg has stripped of its images as “city of the public servants” or “garrison town” like old clothes and is now glowing as a heath-metropolis and university city.
Discovery of the salt deposit underneath the old town (1.2 km2 wide and up to 4,000 m deep)
First mention of “Luniburc”, the castle on the Kalkberg. The name “Lüneburg” evolved from “Hliuni” (Lombard for refuge).
Founding of the Lüne monastery
The Construction of the town hall begins
Confirmation of the city charter
The Construction of the St. John´s Church begins
Expulsion of the sovereign and destruction of his castle by the citizens of Lüneburg
Lüneburg wird Vollmitglied der Hanse, dem internationalen Wirtschaftsverbund des Mittelalters.
First Hanseatic Day in Lüneburg, the “Salt House” of the Hanseatic League
Lüneburg becomes Protestant
Political autonomy and economical primetime; Lüneburg becomes rich and powerful by salt mining
Decline of economical an political power
Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750) is a chorister at the monastery school St. Michaelis
King George Louis (Georg I. Ludwig in German) was Duke of Brunswick and Lüneburg and from 1714 also King of Great Britain and Ireland and titular king of France. He came from the Guelph dynasty and founded the royal dynasty that ruled in Great Britain until 1901
Construction of the still visible Old Crane in the harbour. The first crane was already mentioned in 1330 and in 1346 it was situated in the harbour.
Liberation from the French occupation under Napoleon. The Lüneburg “heroine” Johanna Stegen contributes to the victory of the Prussian troops
Lüneburg gets a brine bath
Lüneburg is the home of the parents of the poet Heinrich Heine who often visited them
Lüneburg gets a connection tot he railway network
Aus der Landdrostei von 1823 geht die Preußische Bezirksregierung her. Auch der Sitz mehrerer Gerichte stärkt Lüneburg als Verwaltungsstandort.
Inauguration oft the Synagogue (Am Schifferwall)
Building oft he water tower on the remains of the medieval fortifications
Kalkberg becomes one of the first nature reserves in Germany
The Synagogue was sold for demolition
Signing of the partial surrender for Northwest Germany on Victory Hill in Lüneburg
Lüneburg was almost not destroyed in the Word War II
Over 180 houses were destroyed by subsidence damages by salt mining
Start of construction of the Elbe-Seite-Canal
Closure of the Saline, today the German Salt Museum can be found at this location
Conversion of the Scharnhorst barracks into a University Campus. Seat of today’s Leuphana University
Drehbginn der ARD-Telenovela Rote Rosen in Lüneburg.
Lüneburg officially re-awarded the title “Hanseatic City”
After 600 years the 2nd International Hanseatic Days takes place in Lüneburg
Lüneburg becomes a Fair-Trade-Town (one of 105 in Lower-Saxony)
Lüneburg is a growing town in north germany with over 78,000 inhabitants and almost 4 million tourists every year.
In Scharnebeck in the near of Lüneburg was built the world´s largest ship lift at that time
Inauguration of the Audimax, the central building oft he Leuphana University by Daniel Libeskind
Inauguration of the memorial for the former Synagogue (Am Schifferwall No.5)